Statistics is a discipline that has become veritable tools in the hands of Scientists, Engineers and others. It is a science which deals with development and application of efficient methods of data collection, organization, analysis, presentation and interpretation, with a view to making appropriate inference about a population based on information from a sample. It has something to offer every fields of study across the Globe. Statistics as a planning and decision science has solutions to world challenges of uncertainties.
At Federal University of Technology, Akure, Department of Statistics became a full fledged department in February, 2013 with Prof. O. E. Asiribo, a visiting Professor appointed as the first head of Department. Prior to this time, it had existed as an option in the old Department of Mathematical Sciences, though approval had been given by the senate for the establishment in March, 2012. The Statistics option was approved by the Senate in September, 2004 and graduated the first set of undergraduates in 2011. The present Head of Department, Prof. K. Ayinde took over in August 2016.
Our vision is to build a department noted for excellence in practical and theoretical training at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels, as foundation for the applications of statistics and statistical principles in solving world myriad problems and technological challenges.
Our mission is to develop a department that will:
- attracts best brains in the field of academics
- employ the principles of world best practices in academic and research in training statisticians.
- emphasize on quality, hard work and commitment to the pursuit of excellence in teaching and research.
- continue to produce excellent and reliable statisticians for industry, public establishment and academic institutions.
- be a home for committed, discipline, united and loving members of academic staff.
Our philosophy are
- to employ the principles of best practices in academic works and research activities for which centre of excellence across the world are known and which the Federal University of Technology, Akure aspires to be one,
- to give excellent instruction to students in Statistics and
- contribute to the extension of the frontiers of knowledge in Statistics through world class research activities.
We offer some degree programmes and also run other interesting programmes and services. For details about our programs, visit >>>