Our postgraduate programmes are research oriented tailored at making excellent contribution to existing body of knowledge in our strong areas of statistics.
Students wishing to secure admission into any of our postgraduate programme must meet the degree requirements of the Postgraduate School of the Federal University of Technology, Akure. Other specific requirements are;
- First degree; of Federal University of Technology, Akure or any other recognized University; in Physical, Biological, Applied and Social Sciences not below Third Class Honours.
- Higher National Diploma (HND) in Statistics, Physical, Biological, Applied and Social Sciences not below Lower Credit
- A good Bachelor degree of Statistics of the Federal University of Technology, Akure or any recognized University.
- A good Postgraduate Diploma of Statistics of the Federal University of Technology, Akure with sufficient background in Physical Sciences
Prospective students are also expected to posses five (5) ‘O’ Level credits including English language, Mathematics, Physics plus any two of Economics, Geography, Chemistry and Biology.
Doctor of Philosophy Admission Requirements
To be eligible for admission into our PhD programme, prospective students are expected to have a good Master degree in statistics.
To be eligible for the award of our Postgraduate Diploma in Statistics, candidate must have:
- passed all core courses and successfully completed the project work.
- passed a minimum of 30 units workload.
- fulfilled all other conditions as may be specified by the Board of SPGD of Federal University of Technology, Akure.
Master of Technology
To be eligible for the award of our M.Tech in Statistics, candidate must:
- take a minimum of 18 credits loads of course work. At least 9 out of the 18 credits must be chosen from the major area of specialization and at least four from core areas of statistics.
- offer two (2) units of seminar successfully.
- complete a satisfactory supervised research project in any area of statistics, present a written thesis and pass an oral examination on the thesis.
- A minimum of 42 units of study are required for graduation including seminar and research project.
Doctor of Philosophy
Candidates are expected to undertake a supervised programme of study in any area of statistics, subject to availability of supervisor. They are alsorequired to:
- complete an approved research programme of at least six semesters.
- present at least two seminars on the research topic before additional one on completion of the research work.
- complete a doctoral thesis and pass an oral examination.
- demonstrate adequate knowledge of the basic concepts and techniques of the chosen area of specialization and show high intellectual achievement in the oral examination.